Tuesday 4 September 2012

Warren Buffett omaha house

Leave a Comment Follow us on twitter
A side shot of Warren Buffett’s home in Omaha. Today’s column is on Warren Buffett and his house in Omaha. I found it fascinating that he still lives in the same home he purchased for $31,500 in 1958 and just shook my head when I saw the clothesline in the backyard of the third-richest man in the world.

Again, no gate. No security guard. No survelliance cameras. Just a house in an upper-middle class neighborhood where houses list from $500-650,000. And in the brief time I was there, I saw a half dozen cars slow down in front (obviously tourists) and people peering out their window at the home.

Reader Dave, who was in Omaha this week for the games, wrote to say:

“From what I saw the first 4 days I went to the games OSU and Rice are far and away the best teams. I also believe that the Beavers are in the much easier division. I think at this point it’s theirs to lose.”

Agreed.

Now, on the issue of Nike and its decision to continue to support embattled quarterback Michael Vick, despite a passionate plea from the National Humane Society… well… the market doesn’t lie.

What I mean by that is that, if a business wants to associate itself with a sordid character, and align itself as a company that doesn’t care about animals, then it has every right to do so. And you and I have every right to buy a product, or not, based on how we feel about said company.

As an extreme example, if Nike wants, it should be able to give high-profile felons sneaker deals in the prison yard and the rest of us should not have a say in that except to wonder what in the world they’re thinking and to pass on buying that product.

During an April 25 raid on a Virginia home owned by Vick, authorities seized 66 animals, most of them pit bulls, and equipment that suggested they were being used in a dogfighting operation.

So yeah, what in the world is Nike thinking?

Well, I’m guessing its endorsement deal with Vick probably doesn’t include an out that is palatable for the company… yet. Which is only to say they’re probably nervous about the dog fighting accusations, the obscene gestures at a fan, etc. that have plagued Vick lately, but holed up wondering how they’re going to get out of this one with as little damage as possible. Dogs don’t wear shoes, or I’m thinking Nike would have walked months ago.

0 comments:

Post a Comment